S.H.A.P.E. (Students Helping to Achieve Positive Esteem)
UCONN S.H.A.P.E. is a peer education group that strives to promote accepting attitudes towards all body shapes and sizes while helping to encourage self esteem and positive body image. UCONN SHAPE also fosters awareness about eating disorders, the warning signs, and the resources available for support. Through presentations, events, and discussions, UCONN SHAPE peer educators provide knowledge and aid to the entire Uconn community.
To UConn, We Promise…
- Give group presentations and lead discussions on body image, media influences, recognizing warning signs of disordered eating and how to help a friend.
- Help direct students to campus resources for support.
- Organize events at UConn that promote positive body image and self esteem.
UCONN SHAPE Yearly Events
- We provide interactive presentations and workshops to classes and residence halls throughout the academic year on warning signs of eating disorders, how to help a friend, body image, self esteem, media and body image, and resources on campus for support.
- We create presentations to give to younger populations at nearby high schools, middle schools and elementary schools, as well as for community Girl Scout troops.
- We actively Participate in:
- Student Health and Wellness Fair (October)
- Love Your Body Day (October)
- Fat Talk Free Week (October)
- Month of Kindness (November)
- National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (February)
- Fresh Check (April)
- We hold events throughout the year all across campus for the UConn community. Past events have included tye-dyeing on Fairfield Way, Free “Be Your Own Valentine” flowers at the Student Union, and Compliment Grams where members of the UConn community were able to send compliment cards to friends.
- We hold an annual art exhibit (March/April) with artwork depicting how the media impacts body image.
UCONN S.H.A.P.E. Training
We hold a training session at the beginning of each semester with all members to go over information about eating disorders, positive and negative body image, how to help a friend, campus resources, influence of the media, and more. In addition, all members learn techniques for facilitating workshops and good communication skills. We also incorporate interactive activities to promote group bonding, as well as sample presentations given by fellow SHAPE members. Check out some pictures from our past trainings!
UCONN S.H.A.P.E. as a Peer Education Group
As one of 30+ peer education groups on campus, UCONN SHAPE operates through Student Health Services and provides students with the opportunity to gain experience by reaching out to help their peers. Students involved in UCONN SHAPE learn effective public speaking, facilitation of discussions, how to handle sensitive topics and how to effectively work in a group. It offers a great way to get involved around campus and take on new leadership roles. To apply to become a UCONN SHAPE member please see our information sheet!
UCONN S.H.A.P.E. hosts The Body Project
The Body Project is an evidenced based body image program that decreases eating disorders risk factors. It is a workshop that teaches students to recognize pressures in society to obtain the thin ideal, enforces self-acceptance and body peace, and helps students actively promote positive self-esteem and body image. This workshop includes several engaging activities and scenarios that enrich participants and allow them to bond. Every workshop has two 2-hour sessions to be completed within a week of each other. The Body Project is facilitated by S.H.A.P.E. peer educators. If you are interested in having S.H.A.P.E. host The Body Project for your group, or would like to learn how to participate as an individual please contact S.H.A.P.E. at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up. Space is limited!