The office of Nutrition and Physical Activity Services is involved in:
The Eating Disorders Support Team
A multidisciplinary team of health care professionals working together to help improve the health of students facing disordered eating at UConn.
Other activities that the office of Nutrition and Physical Activity Services is involved with:
- Annual Student Health and Wellness Fair
- Love Your Body Day
- National Nutrition Month
- Eating Disorder Awareness Week
- Stress Down Day and Stress Out Day
- Nutrition talks in the residential halls on a topic of your choice. The following are some examples: fad diets, vegetarian nutrition, eating healthfully in the dining halls, body image and the media (provided by UCONN SHAPE peer educators).
- Smart Check: Our office collaborates with the Department of Dining Services to encourage healthy eating in the UConn dining halls. Look for the Smart Check icon on menu items to see which entrées follow Smart Check guidelines.
- A Healthy You: is an 8-week weight management group for UConn students. The goal of this program is to provide a supportive environment where one can develop a healthy relationship with food with the long-term goal of weight loss. This program covers a variety of topics, including mindful eating, stress management, goal setting and self-monitoring. We also provide hands-on exercise activity with our Physical Activity Counselor (PAC). Overall, this program helps to improve nutrition literacy, cooking skills and empower and motivate students to prepare and consume healthy foods. Contact our office for more information because this service is not always available.With all the nutrition information available, it is hard to know when you are getting reliable information. It is important to have resources that you can trust. Nutrition and Physical Activity Services feels that these links provide information you can count on and that can help you.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the nation’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals.
- Shape Up America! Founded in 1994, Shape Up America! is a not-for-profit organization committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management.
- ChooseMyPlate.gov The USDA created this tool based on the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans to help you make better food choices.
Nutrition and Physical Activity Links
- The National Institutes of Health
- American College of Sports Medicine
- The Mayo Clinic
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
- The Vegetarian Resource Group
- Smart Check
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Physical Activity Information and recommendations about activity and exercise
- American College of Sports Medicine Fit Society Page Newsletter Current information concerning exercise, nutrition, and sports as well as health tips to assist in maintaining an active lifestyle.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Training information to improve athletic performance.